WINGS (Small Sided Game)
Suitable for players aged 9-12 years
- Area of up to 30x20m. Modify area depending on the number and age of players.
- Insert two channels running down the sides of the pitch. These are the areas for wingers to play in.
- Divide the players into 2 teams and bib accordingly (Reds / Blues).
- One player from each team plays in the wide channels – these are the wingers.
- Have footballs around the area to restart the match quickly
HOW TO PLAY
- Reds and Blues play in a regular small-sided game, aiming to score in the opponent's goal.
- Wingers play for their team when they are in possession of the ball.
- Wingers can not be tackled and must remain in the channels.
- Wingers are allowed to move up and down the side of the pitch - If the team score a goal without using a winger = 1pt - If the team score a goal using a winger = 3pts
- Rotate wingers on a regular basis.
- Defending wingers can provide an obstacle for wingers in possession
- Wingers are allowed to tackle each other
- Wingers are not allocated but any team player can move into the wide channel at any point
- Switching play
- Crossing from wide areas
- Movement to receive and play forwards
- Shooting from crosses